How to be an amateur astronomer in Sweden

astroGreg
spamtest: JA

How to be an amateur astronomer in Sweden

Post by astroGreg »

Hello everyone!

I am a relatively newcomer in Sweden (been here for about a year and a half), and I am originally from Greece.

In Greece I used to do observational astronomy and eventually was thinking to start with astrophotography too.
The problem is, there is too much light, and too much cold and too many clouds :green: . But I see in this forum that many people practice astrophotography, so it is doable.

So I want to kindly ask for your precious advice: How to practice astrophotography in Sweden (living in Stockholm)?
How do you combat cold? both for yourself and for the equipment?
How do you combat all the light pollution (keep in mind that I don't have a car)?
For the clouds I suppose you just wait for a clear night, don't think there is much to do about that :D

Thanks in advance for any tip or advice you may throw my way!

Greg.
DHEB

Re: How to be an amateur astronomer in Sweden

Post by DHEB »

Hej och välkommen,

För molnen är det inget att göra. Sverige är ett molnigt land. Grekland är sannolikt bättre på den planen.

Städerna är ljusa. Man ska gå utanför eller börja skriva brev till kommunerna för att de ska ändra belysningen. Vissa observationer är dock inte så känsliga för ljusförorening, exempelvis variabelstjärnor.

Nu har det inte varit riktigt kallt denna vinter, så vanliga vinterkläder räcker. Men för de tillfällen när det är riktigt kallt använder jag en scooteroverall. Det kan jag rekommendera.

Lycka till.

PS jag tänkte att det är lika bra att svara på svenska så du för möjlighet att öva språket :)
kribba

Post by kribba »

"So I want to kindly ask for your precious advice: How to practice astrophotography in Sweden (living in Stockholm)?"

I also live in Stockholm. I strongly recommend narrowband astrophotography. It´s realy the only way to combat light pulution.
A refractor 70-100mm with a mono camera such as ASI1600 or ASI183 with Ha,O3,S2 filters is a good start. If you want a color camera
there is now good duo and triband filters ( mono is still better ).
Partner i SDST i Extremadura Spanien.
Hemmavid bl.a. William Optics Zenithstar II 80mm, Celestron C9,25, ASI183MM med ZWO filter, EQ-6.
astroGreg

Post by astroGreg »

Thanks for both your answers. Narrowband astrophotography seems indeed a good sollution for lightpolution.

Do you have any other practical advice?
for example, when you collecting data, do you stay outside all night, or do you leave the gear do its job and go inside a cabin/house/car.
Is a dew heater enough, or other more drastic measures are needed during the night?

"I also live in Stockholm" --> do you stay in the city when capturing or go a bit further away?
I live in Akalla, and there is a huge park 5' from my place. Could I just bring my gear and stay there all night (given that I have the right clothes and equipment)?
Is narrowband good enough that I could just putt the telescope in my balcony?

"PS jag tänkte att det är lika bra att svara på svenska så du för möjlighet att öva språket :)" --> you are right, I do need to practice my S :S wedish

Thanks again for your answers!
kribba

Post by kribba »

"do you stay outside all night, or do you leave the gear do its job and go inside a cabin/house/car. "

Have the mount permanently polar aligned in the garden. The day off photo I just bring the scope,camera and computer outside.
After preparation and starting photo I go inside and just go out and check once per hour that everything runs good.

"Is a dew heater enough, or oth"

Dewheater works great!

"I live in Akalla, and t"

I live nearby in Sollentuna (-:
Hemmavid bl.a. William Optics Zenithstar II 80mm, Celestron C9,25, ASI183MM med ZWO filter, EQ-6.
astroGreg

Post by astroGreg »

I see, it seems like it is doable after all!
Guess I only have to start checking on astrophotography setups then :D
Thanks for the help again!
@Kribba is there a place were I can see photos you've taken from your place?

Also, any sites where people sell used gear?
kribba

Post by kribba »

"is there a place were I can see photos you've taken from your place?"

http://www.astrobin.com/users/kribba" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The older pictures are from home ( many off the new ones are remote ).

"Also, any sites where people sell used gear?"

UK Astro buy and sell